Welcome to Membership Matters
of Sovereign Grace Baptist
We’re glad you are interested in Sovereign Grace Baptist Church. Membership Matters is our attempt to help you understand who we are and how we approach church. This class, however, does not obligate you to join Sovereign Grace Baptist Church. As we think about church and specifically church membership we have found there is a lot of confusion on this matter. So we have written Membership Matters to be an introduction for those seeking membership here at SGBC and also for those who are just interested in a more biblical understanding of church membership.
Asking the Right Question - Getting the right answer must start with asking the right question. Many approach church membership by asking the question, “What am I looking for in a church?” Some may look for a particular worship style. Others are looking for a particular ministry opportunity for themselves or for their children to determine the church they would like to join. However, we feel it is more important for one to ask, “What is a Church?” This is a tough question to answer. The Church has fallen onto some difficult days. Too often consumerism (doing what people like), pragmatism (doing what “works”) and professionalism (growing a corporation) are the guiding principles for most churches. The Membership Matters class describes five fundamental characteristics of a church in some detail. Each section answers a basic question about the church & the gospel:
- Our Salvation - What is the Gospel?
- Our Presentation - How do we display the Gospel?
- Our Confession - What do we believe about the Gospel?
- Our Mission - How do we live the Gospel?
- Our Organization - How do we organize ourselves around the Gospel? (outline)
We feel these sections/questions will be a good guide for those who are considering church membership here at Sovereign Grace or any other church God may lead you to consider.
Becoming a Member of Sovereign Grace Baptist Church - Completion of this class fulfills one of five membership requirements. Other membership requirements include:
- acceptance of Jesus Christ as personal Savior
- baptism by immersion after salvation
- affirming the Sovereign Grace Membership Covenant as well as our confession of faith and
- completion of a pastor’s visit with a Sovereign Grace Elder. This visit is an informal opportunity for us to get to know one another. Your membership will be completed at the following members meeting.
Know that we are excited about your desire to know more about Sovereign Grace Baptist Church and are available to answer any questions you may have about this course specifically or our church in general. Please contact Pastor Shane Waters with any questions.